Saturday, August 11, 2007

Recommended for Further Reading...

Below are a few links that may interest you:


  • Like many other people, I believe that how the young are educated determines how societies adapt to future challenges that will play a part in daily life. My own life-long experience attending public schools in below-average districts contributes much to my skepticism to standard solutions in improving our education system. However, I refrain from prescribing reforms since I've never known what it's like to be a teacher in these mediocre schools. One blogger who is very close to me, "Scott Walker", has made a commitment to become a teacher in the large and mismanaged Dallas Independent School District. Walker is fresh out of college and naturally full of ambition, and has an exceptional mastery of the humanities and literature of the great Western cannon. Walker has numerous stories to tell from his days working as a substitute teacher at all grade levels around various public school districts in the area. His blog"The English Teacher" features keen insights complemented by a highly literate writing style. It's definitely worth a gander.
  • One of the joys of writing about architecture on a blog is the connection made with other young designers who understand the blog as useful promotional medium for their work. "Emiliano", a seemingly talented Italian architect, shows off one of his projects. I cannot completely understand Italian, but the images of his cultural center in Brescia reveals a sophisticated understanding of structural and cladding systems. There are thousands of young talents like Emiliano, so don't hesitate to remind me to link to your blog to promote your projects.
  • Want to find out what a self-described anarcho-syndicalist structural engineer thinks of Le Corbusier? It's a new blog full of opinions on everything, from a solidly left perspective. What has life been like After Corbu?
  • As a catholic, I have some major reservations on the effects that the second Vatican council had on the Church. Dr. Philip Blosser writes from a similar perspective in his blog, "The Pertinacious Papist", a superbly written site on all things catholic. For those you who are annoyed by much of the post-Vatican 2 repertoir of worshisp music, browse this particular post if you are familiar with some of the listed songs.
  • Apeman wrote a thoughtful response to my observations while traveling to Mexico City a few months back. To answer his main question: the blog's name "Architecture and Morality" is not really a literal description of the content of the blog posts on this site. Rather, for those who have searched the blog's title on the internet, the title comes from an album recorded in 1981 by the English synth-pop group OMD. As soon as I was considering establishing a blog, that album title seemed to perfectly encapsulate the nebulous intentions of what I wanted to write about. Sure I would want to write about architecture, but I am also interested in thinking about other broader but related topics that most architecture writers would never care to tie in. It's kind of a coincidence that my co-blogger and I tend to write on our areas of expertise, he on religion and morality and me on architecture. Other than that, I have no intention to produce content consistent to the blog's namesake. With that being said, Ape Man makes some interesting points about how architecture can reflect a society's moral values.
  • I don't know if Andrew Yen is still writing, but his short-lived blog, "The Suburban Bourgeois" contains some nice litte posts about life in the suburbs and skepticism about the advantages of a more dense and 'urban' lifestyle promoted by the architecture and planning orthodoxy. I admire the fact that he writes from the perspective of a non-expert on matters of urbanism, and refuses to defer his opinion to so-called "experts".

No comments: